Hey All – brainstorming here about similarities between the Southeast and the Southwest and will take any comments or suggestions –
1) Iconography – both have iconography vaguely reminiscent of Mesoamerica; i.e., think of the plumed serpent vessels from Chaco and the Hawkman iconography in the SE.
2) Maize – no brainer, maize had to come from somewhere and it came from Mesoamerica. Shows up in the SW by around 2KYAo and in Hopewell contexts a few hundred years after Christ.
3) Platform mounds – all over the Hohokam area and all over the Mid-continent and SE
4) Chaco and Cahokia have a roughly contemporary cultural progression…
5) Ah! And the Turk, the Pueblo Indian Coronado picked up while traversing the SW, told him that a city of untold riches lay just beyond a huge river (Cahokia maybe?).